You’ll love this delicious ferment! We’re talking apples, ginger, beets and purple cabbage! Yes, it definitely has a sweet & salty tang to it. Delicious as a side dish or added to salads.
Sweet Purple Kraut
- 2 large purple cabbages
- 2 large beets
- 2 inch piece grated ginger
- 3-4 apples, chunked or grated
- 3-4 Tbs salt (your preference)
- peel off outer cabbage leaves. Quarter and cut into 1/4 inch slices, then chop slices into 2-3 inch lengths.
- Wash and grate apples, beets and ginger.
- Mix everything together in crock or food-safe bucket.
- Add salt and pound vegetables with blunt-ended object until liquid appears. Let set for several minutes, then mash again.
- Pound until there is enough brine to cover vegetables, then pack into jars and seal with lids. Remember to burp daily.
- Note: if vegetable do not release enough liquid, make a brine of salt water (1/2 tsp to 1 C) and add.
- For strongest bacteria, let ferment for 6-10 weeks or let go until burping is no longer required and move to root cellar to keep for winter.