When mid-spring rolls around and carrots need thinning…
…garlic attempts to send out their blossoms
…a new taste for the avid canner’s palate becomes readily available!
Pickled Carrots & Garlic Scapes
Makes 7 quarts
Fill jars with:
- 1 large, fresh dill head per jar
- 6-10 garlic scape pieces per jar, cut 4-5 inches in length
- washed and de-stemmed baby carrots to fill 7 quart jars
- optional: 1/4 tsp chili pepper seeds OR 1/4 tsp mustard seed
Make brine with
- 6 C water
- 8 C vinegar (5% acetic acid)
- 1 Tbs salt
Directions: pack jars, starting with dill and garlic scapes.
Add carrits and sprinkle mustard and/or chili seed on top.
Set lids to simmer in hot water. Fill canner and set to boil. Raise rack and set filled jars in place to warm for brine.
Make brine and boil 5-10 minutes with lid. Fill jars, wipe rims and seal with hot lids. If using larger carrots, process 20 minutes. If not, set timer for 15 min. Remove and let cool before removing metal band. Remove and store away in the cool room!